(Secret) Preview of Oracle 12g CBO leaked from Oracle labs…

After doing my seminar in Spain last month, one of the attendees sent me a secret note about what the CBO would look like in Oracle 12g. Apparently it’s re-engineered from ground and completely different from anything we’ve seen before. It goes beyond being automatic, intelligent and auto-tuning, it’s actually edible too!

The New CBO
The New CBO

Thanks to John Ospino for sending me this insider-info ;)

This entry was posted in Cool stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to (Secret) Preview of Oracle 12g CBO leaked from Oracle labs…

1. Great! I excite about that (CBO).
    I’m waiting! ;)

2. pdv says:

“do you want fries with that?”

I can see this happening.

The fries-pack will be added by default, but wil be a separately licensed-option – payable.
    And removal of the fries-pack will be a messy affair, with ketchup all over the place.

3. Noons says:

I wonder if EE will include a “Super-Size-That” option?

4. Tom says:

I actually had a chance to pilot test this. There are definitely some bugs (or maybe Oracle calls these features).

For example, I found that when doing massive parallel queries with hash joins, the CBO completely choked and the instance crashed. It basically had a heart attack.

In other cases, the results just poured out uncontrollably. I would say the optimizer had trouble digesting the information I fed to it.

5. Anand says:

hahaha…I love this CBO…:)

Anand

6. John Ospino says:

Finally my investigations knows daylight, jejejeje. Thank to you pal. It’s a pleasure share freaky stuff with you.

7. Pingback: Log Buffer #152: a Carnival of the Vanities for DBAs | Pythian Group Blog

8. willem says:

The CBO isn’t a black box anymore!

9. Fred says:

Looks delicious. I can’t wait!

10. Hahaha :))) Great pic :) Thanks for sharing Tanel

11. Pingback: Entradas de Oracle semana 34 « Gruñidos sobre Oracle y SAP

12. dkkim says:

it’s very funny!!

13. Amir riaz says:

one of the things i want in CBO, is to use storage index (oracle exadata feature) in execution plan. current CBO does not uses storage indexes to eliminate extends for which it has to perform IO. instead storage indexes we used at runtime to eliminate extends. Oracle still use old fashion Partitions to accomplish this task. which is not good in most of the cases.