So, how many of you do hate the dialog below?

MOS page expired dialog

Good news – there is a fix! (or well, a hack around it ;)

Before showing the fix, you can vote & give your opinion here:

The fix is actually super-simple. The page expiration dialog that grays out the browser screen is just a HTML DIV with ID DhtmlZOrderManagerLayerContainer, overlaying the useful content. If you want it to disappear, you need to delete or hide that DIV in the HTML DOM tree. The javascript code is below (I just updated it so it should work properly on IE too):

javascript:(function(){document.getElementById('DhtmlZOrderManagerLayerContainer').style.display='none';})()

Install the fix as a bookmarklet

For convenience, you just need to “install” this javascript code as a bookmarklet. So just drag this C-MOS link to the bookmarks bar (don’t just click on it here, just drag it to its place).

So, next time you see a MOS page expired in one of your many open browser tabs, you just click on the C-MOS bookmarklet in the bookmarks bar (instead of the OK button) and the grayed out dialog box disappears – without trying to reload the whole page (and failing). So you’ll still be able to read, copy and scroll the content.

Note 1: I didn’t try to prevent this (client-side) expiration from happening as you might still want to maintain your web session with MOS servers by clicking OK in the dialog.

Note 2: If you have some ad-blockers or javascript blockers enabled in your browser, the C-MOS link may be re-written by them to “javascript:void(0);” – so the bookmarklet wouldn’t do anything. In this case either temporarily disable the blocker and refresh this page (and then drag the link to a bookmarklet position) or just add it manually with the code above.

Note 3: As I updated the bookmarklet to support IE too, the new code is a bit different. The old code, for those who are interested, is here: javascript:$(DhtmlZOrderManagerLayerContainer).remove();

If you wonder why I picked such a name C-MOS for this little script, just pronounce it and you’ll see ;-)

This entry was posted in Cool stuff, Oracle, Productivity. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to C-MOS: How to get rid of the annoying “The Page has Expired” dialog in My Oracle Support

1. Andriy says:

Good hack! Thanks, Tanel!

2. udyan says:

Very Cool and nice trick. Thanks for sharing :)

3. sathya says:

You gotta workaround until oracle hides this ….Thx..

4. Yong says:

Excellent! Thanks. Four months ago, I requested they make this annoying timeout longer:
    https://blogs.oracle.com/supportportal/entry/mos_upgraded_mobile_search_improved (see comments)
    It probably is still “being actively worked”. I thought they knew Javascript more than anything else in building a web site.

5. Alex says:

Brilliant, thank you. But am I the only one that doesn’t “get” the name?

• Tanel Poder says:

The “C” stands for “see” … so in other words, you can “see” the MOS page again with this fix :) I didn’t spend too much time coming up with the name :)

6. I agree Yuck! And we (MOS development) are trying to get it fixed. I suspect that you are not always “timing out”, rather that same message is also used if you open a lot of KB articles, for example, in different windows, once you reach the limit for the number of pages that can be held by the server, and then you try to use another window, were you opened another MOS session, this message appears. I have personally worked with the team to a) improve the messaging for when this does happen (since it is typically not really timing out the session), b) increase the number of page views one can have to reduce the likelihood of this issue, and c) work to try to eliminate this issue. The team is also working to increase the actual timeout time and very much knows this is a big “yuck” for all customers.

When this occurs:
    a) when you actually timeout from inactivity
    b) user opens several browser tabs with different different content in each of the browser tabs but at some point thye focus & continue to work on one of
    the tabs. Now given all the browser tabs arew out of same HTTP session on the server, the session is still active but other tabs starts showing timeout
    warning or expiration pop-ups.

Which are you? I am guessing B.
    This is not an “excuse” – just thought you all would like to know the issue and that it is being worked in our framework.

• Tanel Poder says:

Hi Richard,

Yeah, I’ve been hit by both scenarios – having just one window open and noticing the timeout when “coming back from lunch”, or opening many related notes to a problem, in multiple tabs, for reading later whenever I have time (and this may happen multiple days later after opening).

The timeout box popping up isn’t so much of a problem itself – the attempted page reload that follows is the problem, as it fails to reload the note (or just loads the latest opened note in all tabs).

So, somehow disabling the attempted page refresh after I click OK in the dialog would be a decent workaround.

Thanks for your comments, btw!

7. Krish says:

Thanks Tanel. This one was one of major annoyances.

And of course the whole site can get shaky after a few backspaces. A dreaded hypertext related error shows up and after that nothing works in that session.

MOS is better since the dreaded flash days. It still has ways to go before being a decent app

• Tanel Poder says:

Indeed, the HTML version is actually usable, much better than the Flash version – and over the years the MOS/Metalink search has gotten much better too. Years ago, when searching for anything, the first page was full of unrelated RDB product articles…

8. Norbert Keuler says:

in addition to Yong’s comment:
    This issue was also reported to Oracle Support by the German Oracle User Group – even in the begining of 2012 (http://www.doag.org/de/home/aktuelle-news/article/the-page-has-expired-neue-myoracle-support-benutzeroberflaeche-speichert-suchergebnisse.html). It is really amazing that this annoying bug takes so much time to fix.

9. Jared says:

That is an awesome little fix – kudos Tanel!

10. Andy Klock says:

Feature request. I’d like a counter added so I’m able to see how many times I’ve hit C-MOS. I know I’m well past a couple hundred clicks by now. Thanks again Tanel!

11. Yong Huang says:

Just found this:

My Oracle Support 6.7 Release Notes (Doc ID 780132.5)

“There is a limit of ten open My Oracle Support sessions or tabs in each browser. If you open an eleventh My Oracle Support session or tab, the first My Oracle Support session or tab will time out.
    As specified by Oracle Corporate Security guidelines, every single sign-on (SSO) session must expire after 8 hours. The count down starts from the time of the first login for the same browser for the same portal. Recently, a two hour inactivity timeout was added. If there is no network activity within a two hour period, you will be logged out. “